Monday, May 5, 2008

Books and More Books

My birthday was last Saturday (not this past Saturday, but the one before that--April 26th) so Chris and I went used book shopping to buy me lots of birthday books. We already have piles of books that have no where to live, but you can aways find room for more, right? We seem to think so anyway.

First we went to our local library which was having a bag sale--all the books you could fit in a paper grocery bag for $3. (We insanely overfilled ours and gave them $6.)


These are some of the more entertaining ones:
The New Complete Hoyle--published in 1956,
The Wonderful World of Science - Book Five--an elementary school textbook published in 1941,
Polly's Homemaking Pointers--1965--love these hilarious/scary old homemaking manuals,
Stitch By Stitch--published 1986
and Creative Needlework--published 1974.
(There were about 15-20 that I didn't take a picture of.)

Creative Needlework has some really fun projects and what Chris and I agree is the pretty much the best picture ever taken. (You might want to click the photo for the larger size to really get the full effect.)


Then we went to several used books stores and got probably 20 more books. Mostly fairly old sci fi paperbacks, as evidenced in the photo. (Including a couple that I believe are out of print.)


All in all it was quite a gratifying haul of books and it made for a happy birthday for me. And after all of the wonderful book buying, we went out for dinner with some friends for the best Indian food ever.

2 comments:

h.winter said...

Happy belated birthday! Wow, has it really been a year since I found your blog (I happened across your blog on your birthday last year with your birthday sale)??? I really find your blog entertaining and enjoyable. I love seeing everything your working on! Thanks for continuing to post!

Elizabeth said...

I'm so thrilled that you continue to read my blog--I often worry that it's boring and it makes me feel much better that you keep on reading. (It can't be that boring, then, can it?) I just can't believe I've been writing this blog for over a year.